1.24.2005

Envy, Consumption and Moderation

I have a friend who is, by all accounts, rich.
Well, maybe not by all accounts, but, he is at least monetarily, very wealthy.

So what's wrong with that? Right?
Good for him, he's got money, maybe he earned it...Maybe making money comes to him naturally, is that not OK? Should I envy him his apparent wealth because he's got it and I don't?

To that point; why should I or anyone else feel sore against anyone for their money whether earned or gifted?
Nobody should, but we do.

Envy is a hard thing to get around; it can eat at your insides like a tapeworm, stealing your strength of will or your desire to do well; just for the sake of doing well.
Envy shades your vision on certain issues where you may need your vision to be completely unobstructed so that you can view clearly-the world around you and those that affect you most.

You've heard of Beer-Goggles right? You're hanging out with your friends late one night on the town and you've had one too many Pabst Blue Ribbons. Your "vision" and judgment are now impaired to the point that you're on the dance floor with a prize winning pie-eater who vaguely resembles a toad(not that there's anything wrong with that)...Beer-Goggles firmly in place; your standards hit rock bottom and you're left with little of the convictions that you'd held onto so dearly earlier that very day.

Envy has goggles too.

**************************

My friend seems to be very good at making a great deal of money with apparently little "real-effort" (Keep in mind that when I say "real-effort" I'm talking about busting a sweat and being uncomfortable because you're working so hard) and with his apparent wealth my friend seems hell-bent on buying everything that money can buy...Mansion, Hummer, matching BMWs for he and the trophy-wife(bitch) and multiple vacations per year to exclusive island getaways that would make MTV royalty drool and pout...

Understand me, I love my friend, he's one of the people I relate to best on a personal level and he's been my friend for almost a decade.
But, now, every time I hear his name or hear his voice or see a picture of him or even think about him - three words come to mind; consume, consume and consume...and that bums me out.

Is this my issue? Is there something wrong with me that I have a hard time being ok with my friend completely changing his life because he's making more money than most people I know?

On Consumption as a lifestyle, let me ask a better question; If you have money to burn, should you?

***********************************



*********************************

I'm sure that you've heard the old saying; "Everything in moderation" ?

Does this mean that we should moderate How Much, How Hard, How Often; We Work, Love, Eat, Drink, Sleep, Wake, Breathe, Learn, Live?

OR, should moderation only apply to the things that we do DO but shouldn't-all the time? Like; Hate, Hurt, Fight, Lie, Steal, Argue, Alcohol, Drugs, Food, Sex?

So, good job.
Now you are Glassy-eyed, Starving, Dull, Retarded from lack of contact with the things that make you YOU and over all you are just a BORE to be with.
Tony Robbins you ain't.

I say, Self-Govern.
Self Governing as opposed to Self-Moderation as a better lifestyle choice.
Moderate your Moderations.
Control your appetites with an iron-will born of education and a desire to Do and Be Well.

Curb your appetite for those things that entrap you so easily, ask for help on this, self-governing is possible but made easier with assistance.

Over all, understand this; All Things in Moderation, Especially Moderation.

Be you; just don't let it kill you, that's the point, isn't it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Benji said...

BOOYAH!

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel as though we may know the same people! Lots of money, nice cars, a new toy every two weeks, yeah I know them, dosen't EVERYONE?...but the people I know are miserable as hell. And I can't agree with you more on your outlook on it. Sometimes it makes me happy that I am not like that, because life is still awesome for me and I still get to use ALL their things, without payin for it HA!

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

all words badly drawn ben ©