2.01.2005

The Bride, the Geisha and the Whitewashed Tomb...



I am intrigued by the Geisha culture of Japan.
You might say I'm drawn to it like a moth to flame - admittedly; I don't know why this simple attraction exists...

The Geisha culture seems (to me) to be beautiful in appearance in all of the ways that one would want for a culture to be. The history of the culture seems to be rich in Color and Life while mixed liberally with a strong sense of Honor, Pride and Propriety...A place for every thing and every thing in its place.

I say "In appearance" because admittedly; I don't know much about it.

In order to more fully understand some of the more complex models of human behavior that surround us and mystify me, I try to simplify issues and technical thoughts to elemental levels and compare them to more commonly understood themes and ideals...
Not necessarily Apples-to-Oranges but more Granny-Smiths to Fuji.

The Geisha appear as if from another time and place altogether, they are totally different in appearance than almost any other group of people on earth...Why?
Why the separation from other cultures-if only by appearance and behavior?

What is the most apparent difference that is clear when you look at the Geisha?



You could say that their make-up sets them apart, the white face paint signifies their position in society and also gives them particular importance in some inner circles of Japanese culture.
Next would probably come the hair in all of its intricacies of design which also drip with a sense of order and standing...Than probably the clothing, beautiful cloth with amazing designs, wrapped about the body in a certain way, now, as it was, and has been for a thousand years.

Also, something that may draw your attention to the Geisha is their nature, seemingly dour in countenance and almost sad to look at...

I'm sure that if we were to look beyond the white make-up and the perfect appearance of the Geisha we would find a very familiar scene...A young girl using the Means available to reach the End desired.

Let me explain...

If you look a little deeper into the Geisha culture you'll find out a few things right away...the Geisha are part of an ancient tradition of hostesses that have always labored to be the perfect host...No matter who that guest happens to be...
Dancing was an early form of entertainment by the Geisha that continues through till today...
Being able to carry on a conversation with business men about business and hold their own in a technical and diverse world...
Providing a comfortable space for weary travelers and warriors alike to rest their bodies and minds while taking part in the Geishas food, drink and yes, even partaking in the Geisha girls themselves...That's right, sex.
This was the service provided - They were after all; the perfect hostesses.

So, in some ways the Geisha were and are a symbol of the perfect female, at least from a male perspective.

As the years have passed, especially in the last 50 years, the Geisha lifestyle has become less about servicing the sexual needs of the clientele and more about servicing the mental and meta-physical needs...Geisha have endeavored to become adept at speaking confidently in matters of business, politics, commerce, sports, pop culture, food, alcohol and just about any other thing that a male client may want to discuss...Because of this ability and desire to be able to communicate effectively and with knowledge in all of these areas, the Geisha are themselves; a society of business women unto themselves.

As an outsider we may ask why a girl would want to be a Geisha in this day and age...The reason that a young girl may choose to be a Geisha now is to someday endear herself so fully to a male guest (or client) that he would propose marriage to her and take her away from the life of public service to many men, to a life of private service to one man - her husband.

By this token, the Geisha, from the time she is a young girl, endeavors to become the perfect wife, the perfect bride...A priceless diamond among worthless coal.

There is only one culture other than the Geisha that I know of that so fully alienates itself - on purpose - from its own culture in order to achieve the appearance of a perfect bride...

The Christian Church.



I'm sure that if you've ever been in a church service where random people shout "Hallelujah" or "Amen" at the top of their lungs for apparently no reason; you've probably heard a preacher refer to their church as "The Bride of Christ"...
If you haven't heard this term or know why some people may say it or in some cases abuse it; I'll give you some background...

In the Bible, you know, the Word of God, there is a book called "Revelations" it's mostly filled with some pretty fantastic visions and prophecies that most modern day pastors and preachers won't touch for fear of freaking out their congregations with more information than their pastors and preachers are capable of explaining or teaching them about...effectively anyway...

Where was I?
Oh yeah...In the book of Revelations, which was written by a guy named John, there is a verse that says "Let us rejoice and be glad and give him (God) glory! For the wedding of the Lamb (Jesus) has come, and his bride (Believers in Jesus) has made herself ready." - Rev. 19:7
There are also a few other verses in the Bible that say things about Brides and Grooms and preparations and bridal parties and all other kinds of hoopla...BUT ((And please understand me; I'm not making light of the scripture-I'm coming to a point that I hope you'll stick around to read))...

...I've got tell you...Christians, Believers, Followers - Jesus never referred to himself as Bridegroom or a Groom nor did he refer to his followers as Brides.

I'm sorry, but he didn't.

Jesus never called those who followed him his "Bride" or anything even close to it, he didn't call them Fiancés or Girlfriends either...
SIMPLY: Jesus called them Followers, Disciples and Fishers of Men.

There are entire ministries that are built on the idea of a group of people needing to be perfectly Holy in order to become The Bride of Christ - when in fact it was Jesus that sat with Whores, Thieves, Ruffians and - Worst in his day - Tax Collectors...
Jesus hung with the worst and required that his disciples do the same while they were with him.

And yet today - Some of his so-called followers berate those who would be interested in Jesus Christ by telling them "You must first be washed in the Blood of the Lamb and become Sin-Less and Pure of Heart in order to become the Bride of Christ and enter his Heavenly Kingdom." - WHOA! STOP!

That is not the Jesus that I have found in the scriptures on my own.

Maybe you've seen some beer-soaked sports fans holding up a sign that says JOHN 3:16 on it, have you ever wondered what that says?
Jesus said it, it went like this..."This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him." - John 3:16-18 - Jesus' words, nobody else's - read this part again; "God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was."

You see, I think that "The Bride" has got it all backwards and they're crucifying Jesus on their public access shows everyday in the publics mind by painting an inaccurate, un-loving and un-lovable Christ.

Understand me, I'm not talking about followers of Christ in general being "The Bride".

I'm talking about the fundamentalist, extra-crispy-right-wing, bible-thumpers that have no connection with the "real-world" or their community whatsoever and have been brainwashed from early ages to believe that the "Secular World" is sinful in so many ways as to make it beyond help, hope or rescue by anyone other than God Himself!

I'm here to tell you this type of thought is not right; it's not right and it's not Biblical.

If you ever wanted to challenge one of these types of so-called Christians to a duel of words and scripture; I'd suggest quoting this one to them...
In the book of Matthew in Chapter 10, Verses 5-16 the Bible says this...
"Jesus sent his twelve harvest hands out with this charge: "Don't begin by traveling to some far-off place to convert unbelievers. And don't try to be dramatic by tackling some public enemy. Go to the lost, confused people right here in the neighborhood. Tell them that the kingdom is here. Bring health to the sick. Raise the dead. Touch the untouchables. Kick out the demons. You have been treated generously, so live generously. Don't think you have to put on a fund-raising campaign before you start. You don't need a lot of equipment. You are the equipment, and all you need to keep that going is three meals a day. Travel light. When you enter a town or village, don't insist on staying in a luxury inn. Get a modest place with some modest people, and be content there until you leave. When you knock on a door, be courteous in your greeting. If they welcome you, be gentle in your conversation. If they don't welcome you, quietly withdraw. Don't make a scene. Shrug your shoulders and be on your way. You can be sure that on Judgment Day they'll be mighty sorry--but it's no concern of yours now. Stay alert. This is hazardous work I'm assigning you. You're going to be like sheep running through a wolf pack, so don't call attention to yourselves. Be as cunning as a snake, inoffensive as a dove."

Read that one again and again if you want to understand and know what it really was that Jesus was trying to get his followers to do and be...Him.

In my short 27 years I have have seen groups of hundreds and thousands of grown men and women teaching their children and each other how to throw great "Potlucks", "Last-Tupper-Ware Parties" and "Lock-ins" - While avoiding the world that surrounds them as much as possible for fear of sin contamination...To seek out foreign lands to "Claim for Christ" - While ignoring the pain and apparent need in their own neighbors eyes...To hand out tracts to drug addicts that are not helpful - Instead of trying their damnedest to actually know that strung-out kid on a personal level...To hide behind closed doors while singing obscure songs and saying words and phrases that nobody else could understand - Instead of sitting down in a Pub or a Coffee shop with our Bibles wide open before us-welcoming all those around you that may have questions...To feed the hungry one time per year instead of a constant effort to ease the suffering of the needy...don't even get me started on this one...read this verse in the Bible - Matthew 25:31-46 - for some of Jesus' teachings on the needy...

Now look, I grew up in the kind of churches that I am writing about and speaking against right now. But I'm here to tell you that I am as guilty as them. Ok? But, I'm trying to change and be more like Christ was...
So, for right now, don't bitch at me, ok?
I'm allowed to have my point of view based in dissent, hard questions and grievances that need to be aired - For the purpose of change.

Here it is, the Point...

The Church today is a whitewashed tomb hiding Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Anger, Greed and Sloth within - While on the outside, trying to appear to all the world as something it is not; Full of Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control.

The Church today has become something that Jesus would never have desired her to become; A Geisha.

A Geisha who knows all, sees all, smiles politely, says nothing and waits for a perfect Groom to remove her from the service of all mankind.

Shame on us.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just realized that I posted this comment in the wrong place. I meant to be commenting on THIS post not the purple finger pix. Well, here is what I said again. It makes more sense now:

Ben, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog for awhile now. Jimmy passed it on to me. Thank you so much for being honest and real. I loved this post. I really get a lot out of comparisons like this. You're an excellent writer.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Benji said...

Thanks Gina, I really love your encouragement.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Does it ever feel to you like the "pack of wolves" we have to pass through are many of the Christians you have discussed? Granted, we just moved out of Berkeley, so don't even get me started on non-Christians' resistance to ANYTHING with the name Jesus attached to it. But do you ever feel like you can't really blame them, based on how they are treated by so many Christians like those you spoke about? What really frustrates me and makes me so sad is when I get judged, verbally attacked, etc. by those very people who call themselves The Bride, just for having a different point of view, and for not following the way of life they have prescribed as the "Christian way." (Am I making sense? I can't tell.)

However it is very encouraging to know that there are people like you and your readers who can openly discuss these sort of issues. Thanks, I'll continue to read your site.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Benji said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:24 PM  
Blogger pgepps said...

Hey, Ben, very interesting--strongly put but dead on target. I think you can finish the story by pointing out that it's God's job to make us a fit Bride, and He will . . . and, yeah, that trying to act like "Miss Right" to every other "man" we meet is just exactly the wrong way to go about it.

I live in Japan right now. I just got back from a Japanese class where we went through a "Traditional Japanese Tea Ceremony." I can tell you that beauty and concern for the proprieties and appearances can have some visible appeal--and is as empty as the (w)hole the Buddhist finds within.

I'm curious who is doing a better job than these believers you so excoriate, though . . . am I? are you?

Thanks for some well-wrought words. I'm going to link 'em from my blog.

Cheers,
PGE

4:06 AM  
Blogger Benji said...

pgepps, thanks for your words...I'm jealous of you, living in Japan must be something else!

You said - "I'm curious who is doing a better job than these believers you so excoriate, though . . . am I? are you?"

I could duck and cover on this one and say "Only God can say for sure" but I'm not gonna do that...

I don't know if I'm doing any better, I do know that I'm NOT any better.

From my own personal journey I can say that I'm ashamed of many of the pastors and "spiritual leaders" from my past - ashamed becuase their sins caught up with them and they were found out to be frauds and liars who stole money from the elderly and used volunteers for the church like slave-labor...while the whole time they were coming to me/us from a position of "Authority" and "Rightousness" - "FROM GOD" - well...now these same people are being chased by the FBI and investigated by the IRS. Swine.

So, I don't know, am I, are we...doing any better?
I can say that I havn't stolen from the elderly or taken advantage of anyones genuine wish to help...so, I guess I can say I'm one-up on that score...

Again, thanks for checking in on me, I'm gonna stop by your blog today...
ben

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI,
I just wanted to say thatnkyou for your thoughts! I have to say that i am currently struggling with my identity in christ. although i am sure that this is not because God 'decided against revealing that to me' but rather because there are SO many self-righteous, condesending... what did you say, "fundamentalist, right-wing, bible-thumping".... people and concepts, that it can cloud my view. It was accidental that I happened upon your blog but i'll be sure to read it now! Thankyou again.... also GOODLUCK (for what i'm not sure...but...) and Godbless.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

all words badly drawn ben ©