9.13.2005

In Memoriam 9/11 - Too soon?

This past Sunday, September 11th 2005, I turned on the TV for a few minutes before taking the dogs for a walk, what I saw on the TV shook me up...I'm still upset about it.


I only watched the 9/11 program for less than a minute - but in that minute I saw the terrified faces of soon to be murdered people captured in a moment of pandemonium by a photographer in "the right place, at the right time"...I saw video of United Airlines flight 175 crashing into the South Tower of the World Trade Center from at least 4 different angles and at various speeds...I watched a slow motion replay of United Airlines flight 77 as it struck the Pentagon at an incredible rate of speed, ending the lives of hundreds of everyday people in an instant...I watched as the World Trade Center Towers collapsed, first one, than the other - again and again and again - replaying the deaths of innocent thousands; as if anyone alive today can't remember that morning as if it were yesterday.
I don't need to be reminded how horrible that morning was and I don't need a recap of what happened the rest of that day; nor the weeks that followed or the months after that...I'm still living it, I've still got that memory fresh in my mind.
I don't know about you guys, but I think it's a little too soon for this kind of remembrance...Yes, maybe I am a little reactionary when it comes to remembering the dead by watching their deaths on a big screen TV over and over again. (sarcasm intended)
But I just can't help but feel that there is a better way to honor the deaths of our countrymen that doesn't involve reenactments and ratings.
What's next? BBQs on 9/11 Day?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. I'm with you there. Good post, Ben!

12:18 AM  
Blogger nikki said...

Exactly. So Ben, have you been throwing that miracle grow on your head again? Looks, um, well, also I think it's time for a little wrinkle cream; yea, gotta go!

12:45 AM  
Blogger Benji said...

Yah, I need to change that picture...people are gonna think I'm Don Quixote!

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ben...you know how it is with the networks...they dont care about what they are playing or what your watching, just the ratings


...hey it kept you glued, right?

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps...that picture makes me sick to my stomach....

6:35 PM  
Blogger Benji said...

Well it kept me glued long enough to know that I would be sick if I watched more than a few minutes...if that's what the networks were going for they got it!

I agree about the picture...it turns my guts.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Roman said...

What sickens me is that Oliver Stone is making a 9/11 movie with Nicholas Cage. Way too soon. It was only a matter of time before hollywood tried to make money off of murder of the innocent people, and it only figures that Stone is the first to do it.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a european I AM rather surprised that the US government has not made September 11th an official holiday - a rememberance day - not a day for barbques or fireworks - but a day when industry stops, school is out and people remember how the world stopped that awful morning, and stop too, in respect for the dead.

the cynic in me thinks that it hasn't happened because it would cost industry money. hope I'm wrong on that.

be blessed :)

12:11 PM  
Blogger Benji said...

I know what you mean Lorna.
I think that remembrance is definitely necessary and helpful in the mourning process when it comes to tragedies such as what occured on 9/11/01.
However, I'm afraid that if 9/11 were to be made an OFFICIAL Holiday that the authentic remembrance that is already occuring would get blurry and mixed in with all of the things that Americans do while on holiday...for instance, I can totally imagine a family happily driving to Disneyland on 9/11 Day and saying something like this: "Something bad happened a long time ago but Thank God! Cause now we get the day off!"
I just don't think that it would work the way it's intended...unfortunately.

I'd prefer that the remembrance occur naturally, as it has been happening for the past few years.

Thanks for posting Lorna, I really appreciate your opinion!

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

all words badly drawn ben ©