10.05.2005

Go East Young Man

It's official.
As of today our house is on the market and our grand plan is underway.

For those of you without telepathy or basic mind-reading abilities, I'll let you in on the plan...
Linds and I have been planning a move to Colorado for about a year and a half now. The first step in the plan has always been to sell our house in North County San Diego and go from there, we would've sold the house over a year ago if it hadn't been for a nasty little tax called Capital Gains; which (put simply) says that if you buy a house and turn around and sell it within less than two years you have to pay a major percentage of the sale in taxes to the State...I think it would've been around $35K to $45K...obviously we didn't want that to happen so we waited and kept planning and hoping...And Lo and Behold! The time has come.

The next step after selling our house is to get over to the Denver/Metro area of Colorado and snatch up the house of our dreams...we've got a few ideas, mostly in an area called Highlands Ranch...check it out!



Here's one of the houses we've got in mind, it's being built as I type and we hope to put a hold deposit on it when we go to check out the area in a few weeks.

Downstairs
Upstairs
It's all pretty exciting but also a little scary...but I think Linds and I are more than ready for our next grand adventure!
If you pray, pray that that our house sells fast. I'll keep you posted

4 Comments:

Blogger Benji said...

There are a few reasons that we're considering Colorado more than some other places...what it comes down to ultimately is that we want to start having little Donaghy's of our own soon and we don't see that happening comfortably in California.
Cost of living is crazy here and we don't realize it because we're IN IT, for instance; let's say you made 50K per year and live in CA; you move to CO and now you only need 30K to 35K of that 50K to maintain the very same level of comfort that you had in CA, and jobs pay virtually the same in CO and the job market is stronger there too...that's just insane to me.
And since I'm no rocket scientist and will probably be a working shlub for the rest of my life; I'd rather live somewhere that my dollar will go further.
Also, we can buy a house out there for half as much as it would cost here.

Financial reasons aside, Linds and I love Colorado, it's a lot more laid back than here obviously but we've been wanting to adopt a more laid back family life since we met. Simplify, basically.
Lindsay was actually born in Littleton too but the only family that'll be close to us after the move will be her mom who is in Albuquerque NM.
Other than that, I'm looking forward to Snowboarding in some fresh powder and I've never been that big of a fan of the ocean anyhow;)

7:40 AM  
Blogger jimmy said...

DUDE... You should TOTALLY go for the "optional super deck"!!! Super decks kick ass!

Seriously though, I hope things work out for you Bro. I don't want you to be that far away from me, but you gotta do what's right for your family, and your family to come (you gotta start making some cousins for the boys! Mom will be so pleased!). I love you Bro, and I wish and pray the best for you and Lindsay.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben man, Kristine and I are going to miss you guys so much. I have known you since I moved here from CT over a year and a half ago. You sang at my wedding, and have become a very good friend of both Kristine and myself. We wish you both the best and don't worry, if all goes as planned, we'll meet up again in six months or so after you guys say goodbye to CA. Well that was way too mushy for me, so lets leave that and change the topic. It is 12:14am on Friday morning or I guess you could say Thursday night. I just finished packing. A half day of work lies between me and 4 days of fishing. See you tomorrow bro. Late. Lets go catch some fish!!!!

12:16 AM  
Blogger Benji said...

You gotta love the super deck! It even sounds cool...SUPER DECK. Maybe I should look into a Super BBQ to go along with me Super Deck.
Super.

Thanks Jim, I know it's gonna be a little weird thinking that we're so far apart, this will def be a first for the Donaghy clan. But I plan on using all the money I'm gonna save by taking frequent trips to visit you guys...and you know that you and the fam are more than welcome at any time...what else are we gonna do with the extra rooms till we have little Bens? (I don't know if we want any little Lindsay's yet, but we'll see!)

Mike, I can't wait for this fishing trip man, I've been ready for this few days off for ever!
I hope you guys do get to consider a move as well, it'd be awesome to take some friends with us!

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

all words badly drawn ben ©