10.24.2005

A Costco Kind Of Weekend

I wasn't going there to pick up much, just some Jack Daniels, Captain Morgan and a flat of Bottled Water, so I wasn't at Costco for that long. However along with 20 gallon jugs of Olive Oil, Ultimate-Value-Packs of Unmentionables and 30 foot Trampolines; a trip to Costco is also prime people watching time.

You just can't make this stuff up.

Largest Item Purchased...
A 62" flatscreen TV with matching TV stand...it took two flatbed carts and three Costco employees to move the TV from one side of the store to the other in 15 minutes...I saw the new TV owners in the parking lot on my way out...they were trying to convince the Costco people that the 62" TV would fit into the trunk of their Toyota Corolla if they would only give it a try.
Hilarious, I wish I'd had a comfortable chair, popcorn and a soda.

Most Well Rounded Shopping Cart...
An Iranian couple that couldn't stop their little girl from screaming anymore than they could stop yelling at each other had a pretty eclectic gathering of goods by the time they got to the cashier. Included in the cart: A ten pound bag of Unsalted Peanuts, a bag of unripened Mango's, a 6x6 Persian rug, a "valu-pak" of No-Drip Afrin (6 dispensers total), a bag of assorted socks, Chicken Cutlets, a lifetime supply of Scotch Tape...and finally...A family-sized KY Jelly dispenser.
Will Coscto wonders never cease?

Confrontation Overheard While Waiting In Line...
A middle-aged Asian couple are in front of me in line and they are purchasing a dump-truck-sized load of Flour, Sugar, Cooking Oil, Cake Mixes, Soda, Bottled Water, Napkins, Toilet Paper, Toothpicks and 2 Cases of 10w40 Motor Oil. I didn't think this was out of the ordinary given the plethora of goods at Costco until the cashier said something to the customer about whether he was going to sell the Motor Oil out of his Donut Shop, I couldn't help at this point but realize that the Donut Shop owners were purchasing goods for their Donut Shop with their Merchants license which gives them a healthy discount as well as a tax break.
The Donut Shop owner was either a genius or a genuine fraud because he pulled the "I don't understand your english" move with the cashier and continued to load his goods onto the counter and smile with every tooth in his mouth. The cashier started to get bent out of shape and confronted the customer by saying "Are you telling me that you sell Donuts with a side order of Motor Oil?!?" to which the little Asian man happily grinned "Yes, Yes...Donuts!"
Needless to say I left Costco in search of a Donut Shop.

3 Comments:

Blogger nikki said...

We do live in America, right? Oh, okay, I was just checking . . . I'm not prejudice, nor am I trying to be, but I do strongly feel that if people are going to immigrate to our country,they should at least
be required to learn the english language, before becoming legal citizens. . .(especially if they are going to run a business?!?!) those are just my thoughts, hope I didn't "stir the pot" . . .

10:36 PM  
Blogger jimmy said...

I've purchased motor oil at a donut shop before... what's the big deal.

The worst thing I ever saw at a donut shop was this one asian lady who would post your check forr all to see if you're check bounced. There were all these checks for like three dollars that had bounced and she put them right next to the cash register so you could see who didn't have any money!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Benji said...

Jim, I don't know if you remember this, Jarred might...there was a donut shop a few blocks away from CLC that we used to go to on mornings when we were doing bus ministry or morning bible studies...the donuts were good, you know, they were fine...IF you could get past the INSANELY HUGE MOLE with three inch hairs coming out of it that had a donut making chinese man attached to it!
AGGGHHHH!!! I still think about that mole when I go into a donut shop...gross.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

all words badly drawn ben ©